It is here, in the tangles of branches and softness of moss where most secretive of the Faerie live. Many things may lie in the turn of the path. Perhaps a cottage awaits where a wise woman will teach you the secrets of her garden. Or perhaps you will find a maiden enclosed within a coffin of glass, waiting in stillness for the touch of lips upon her own. Or perhaps you will find a castle surrounded by briar. It is within the forest that many adventures of Faerie begin. The strange mists that filter through the stillness often form into vague shapes of beasts and monsters, confusing and frightening the mortal traveler. This place is a place of illusions, of voices and sounds and seeings that will try to take the traveler from off her path, lead her into the forest, and make her forever lost within. Perhaps she will remember to gather pebbles to drop behind her as she investigates the strange and beautiful music that floats through the air with the mist.
(author unknown to me)

Thursday, June 5, 2008

BLuEbellS





BLUEBELL~ the most potent plant for fairy magic. Fields of bluebells are said to be so dangerously enchanted by fairies that a child who wanders into one may be held captive there by the fae, and adults who enter bluebell patches may become so enchanted that they are unable to leave until other humans come to lead them out. Plant bluebells to attract fairies to your garden, they are called to their midnight revels by the sound of bluebells chiming. If you hear a bluebell ringing, this indicates the presence of a malicious fairy. On Beltane eve, make an ankle braclet of "Bluebells" and "jingle" bells to attract helpful fae folk to you.

BLUEBELLS

Where the bluebells and the wind are,
Fairies in a ring I spied,
And I heard a little linnet
Singing near beside.

Where the primrose and the dew are,
Soon were sped the fairies all:
Only now the green turf freshens,
And the linnets call.


By Walter de la Mare

5 comments:

Julie said...

We don't have bluebells like those pictured, but we do have Virginia bluebells. There was a small patch of them growing wild when I was growing up in Larson. Oh, the thrill of finding those beautiful sky blue flowers.

amelia said...

We had fields of them in England but it's too cold for them here...

I have always loved them and have pictures on my walls of bluebells.

gma said...

Alas no Bluebells in the desert but I saw them in Ireland. What pretty little faeries enjoying and attending them.

Anonymous said...

I plaanted some bluebells a couple of years ago in my garden, the follage always comes up, but they never flower, I must have put them in the wrong place.

smilnsigh said...

Ohhh, I just today {June 17} took and posted some pictures of Bluebells. One up-close photo and one, with other wild flowers in the photo. And under the later, I asked; "Be there faeries here?" It just looked like a place, where they might be.

Hugs,
Mari-Nanci
Smilnsigh blog