It is here, in the tangles of branches and softness of moss where most secretive of the Faerie live. Many things may lie in the turn of the path. Perhaps a cottage awaits where a wise woman will teach you the secrets of her garden. Or perhaps you will find a maiden enclosed within a coffin of glass, waiting in stillness for the touch of lips upon her own. Or perhaps you will find a castle surrounded by briar. It is within the forest that many adventures of Faerie begin. The strange mists that filter through the stillness often form into vague shapes of beasts and monsters, confusing and frightening the mortal traveler. This place is a place of illusions, of voices and sounds and seeings that will try to take the traveler from off her path, lead her into the forest, and make her forever lost within. Perhaps she will remember to gather pebbles to drop behind her as she investigates the strange and beautiful music that floats through the air with the mist.
(author unknown to me)

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

wishing


I keep three wishes ready,
Lest I should chance to meet,
Any day a fairy
Coming down the street.

I'd hate to have stammer,
Or have to think them out,
For it's very hard to think things up
When a fairy is about.

And I'd hate to lose my wishes,
For fairies fly away,
And perhaps I'd never chance
On any other day.

So I keep three wishes ready,
Lest I should chance to meet,
Any day a fairy
Coming down the street.

By Anette Wynne


**From blowing dandelion seeds into the air to throwing a penny into a fountain, we have all felt inspired to make a wish, to whisper our secret desires into the ears of the universe and wait for signs that we have been heard. Some wishes come true while others remain ethereal visions that either stay with us or fade like a start in the light of morning. Whether they come true or not, wishes are important missives, expressing our heart’s desire as well as our intention to create something new in our lives. When we wish for something our consciousness opens to receiving it, like a flower unfolding its petals to receive a bee.

If you have given up wishing in favour of more adult pursuits you might want to bring its magick back into your life. The next time you see the first star of the evening or find yourself in front of a birthday cake covered in flaming candles give yourself the gift of the magickal realm that you knew so well as a child – close your eyes, open your mind and make your wish
***

found on the internet, author unknown to me.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I wish...... for happiness to fill my heart to overflowing.
So Mote It Be.
Happy New Year.

Ali said...

thanks for opening the portal to this amazing magical blog for the month... and I do wish upon the first star I see at night!!

Tori said...

Wishes really are important. On my birthday I closed my eyes and made a wish as I blew out my candles. No one is ever too old for wishes!

Thanks for the poem. I hope all your wishes come true!

Kim Campbell said...

never! i wish all the time. on stars. blowing out candles. etc.