It is here, in the tangles of branches and softness of moss where most secretive of the Faerie live. Many things may lie in the turn of the path. Perhaps a cottage awaits where a wise woman will teach you the secrets of her garden. Or perhaps you will find a maiden enclosed within a coffin of glass, waiting in stillness for the touch of lips upon her own. Or perhaps you will find a castle surrounded by briar. It is within the forest that many adventures of Faerie begin. The strange mists that filter through the stillness often form into vague shapes of beasts and monsters, confusing and frightening the mortal traveler. This place is a place of illusions, of voices and sounds and seeings that will try to take the traveler from off her path, lead her into the forest, and make her forever lost within. Perhaps she will remember to gather pebbles to drop behind her as she investigates the strange and beautiful music that floats through the air with the mist.
(author unknown to me)

Thursday, January 3, 2008

mermaids and off to the seaside.....

I adore mermaids but I can honestly say that I am not one.. I know I am a faery - you can tell by the shoes I wear.
Mermaids are water-dwelling females with long-hair. Woman to the waist and a fish tail below. She is musical. Often sings or plays the harp. They normally inhabits the sea, but may also be found in lakes, rivers, wells and other watery places. Mermaids may sometimes adopt land-dwelling children, making them their protector. Mermaids may also marry a land-dweller, or draw men to under the sea with them, either allowing them to live-in bliss or to be drowned, depending on her whim. Nixes are similar to mermaids, but are able to assume totally human form, but they always retain some mark of being non-human.



here are a few colouring pages to keep you busy


mermaid and sea-horse * two mermaids * dancing mermaid * moon mermaid


She sells sea shells by the sea shore.
The shells she sells are surely seashells.
So if she sells shells on the seashore,
I'm sure she sells seashore shells.




16 comments:

amelia said...

Enjoy your time away and come back refreshed!

Bimbimbie said...

I hope you hear sweet singing amongst the waves as you hunt for your mermaid treasures *!*

Patty said...

Enjoy your days by the sea. I look forward to hearing from you when you come back!

Leanne said...

How lovely! Ilove beach combing, theres always treasure to find!

Robyn, you are definitely a faerie, not a mermaid, but enjoy your visit to the sea, there will be special treasures for you to find there. see you soon, Leanne x

Lila Rostenberg said...

The mermaids are such fun!
Have fun at the beach finding your inner mermaid!

Moonroot said...

Have fun beachcombing! It's one of my favourite pastimes too.

laoi gaul~williams said...

Oh have a lovely time robyn~i hope you find a lovely piece of driftwood to bring home

Tracy said...

Hope you have a wonderful time at the seaside, Robyn!

Julie said...

Mermaid magic - just the thing to lighten up a dreary, dark,cold January! I will be printing the coloring pages as soon as I get some ink for my printer.

Have fun at the seaside. Wish I could go with you!

Love,

Opal

Sheila said...

Enjoy the seaside Robyn..I hope you find some special pieces to bring home with uou..!
hugs
xx

Everydaythings said...

Robyn, I've learnt something new here..Id never heard of a nixe before and went to look them up...so thanks for that. I love the sea as you know...being a cancerian. I've been to the beach sevearl times this year and theres nothing like it to revitalise the spirit! enjoy!

Fire Byrd said...

where i live, which is about as far away as you can get from the sea in this country, there is a pool, about 3 miles away from me, called the the Mermaid pool. It's high up in the hills and is said to lure men to their deaths in the dark days of winter.

Have a wonderful time at the sea and come back to faeryland soon,it is such a magical place.
love
pix x

kathyann said...

Robyn I love the seaside and I hope you find lots of treasures in the rock pools and along the beach,I wish we could have all been there with you ,what a party that would be!Lots of love Kathyann

Kim Campbell said...

I hope you had a wonderful time!

Ruth said...

That's very weird - the picture of the two mermaids riding the sea horses are just like a scene that I describe in my children's book `The Island that Wasn't There'(Due out later this year!)

zuzu said...

=^..^=
Hummmm.

I do love the seaside ... The tidepools best. I like the smooth rocks and tiny sea creatures. Seastars rock!

I tend to even collect shells in little niches here and there (most often near water in my cottage) ...

I have quite long hair (red) ... very long.

But I have always been told I was of the Fae and I do feel most at home in the woodlands ... Of course, I have had my many familars pointed out often as they are always at my side no matter where I turn ... Alas, more food for thought.

I am now more confused! ::sigh::