It is here, in the tangles of branches and softness of moss where most secretive of the Faerie live. Many things may lie in the turn of the path. Perhaps a cottage awaits where a wise woman will teach you the secrets of her garden. Or perhaps you will find a maiden enclosed within a coffin of glass, waiting in stillness for the touch of lips upon her own. Or perhaps you will find a castle surrounded by briar. It is within the forest that many adventures of Faerie begin. The strange mists that filter through the stillness often form into vague shapes of beasts and monsters, confusing and frightening the mortal traveler. This place is a place of illusions, of voices and sounds and seeings that will try to take the traveler from off her path, lead her into the forest, and make her forever lost within. Perhaps she will remember to gather pebbles to drop behind her as she investigates the strange and beautiful music that floats through the air with the mist.
(author unknown to me)

Friday, June 6, 2008

Gnomes

Gnomes are found throughout the world. They are dwarf faeries who appear to be quite old because they mature very young though they live about a thousand years. They stand about 12 inches tall. They wear old fashioned costumes such as small pointed red hats and blue or green clothing. They are also kind hearted and always take care of sick or frightened animals. They are active all year round. They live deep in ancient forests under old oak trees and make their dwellings in their intricate root systems. Their main job is the protection and healing of wildlife, though they occasionally help humans along their spiritual quest. Their only known enemies are martens, owls, and humans that destroy their homes. They can be found on the physical plane and in the astral. Their element is earth. To contact them simply invite them to you. This works especially well in astral travel. Gnomes can lend their help in spells and rituals, especially that of protection, healing animals and people. Since they are expert healers, they may be willing to teach one the secrets of magical herbalism. They love to dance and lend their energies to rituals celebrating the forest gods and goddesses.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss R.
We love gnomes in The Netherlands, home of the famous gnome David !! Children love gnomes too and they can be seen in many a garden over here. I'm so glad the portal is open again. I can hardly wait to see what stories you have in store for us. Have a great weekend !!!!

gma said...

All their work in Astral Travel is probably why Travelocity has them as their mascot.
:-)

Anonymous said...

Are there any not so nice gnomes? I know there are tricky fairies out there but gnomes seem pretty safe. Must be why we put them in the garden for protection right? :)

Anonymous said...

I hope the helpful gnomes will help you save your wild acreage, dear Robyn!
Thank you for bringing the magic back~XOXO

Ruth said...

You definitely need to invoke their help in buying your land

AwtemNymf said...

Greetings-
I LOVE gnomes. I have some ready to go in my faerie garden when I build it! It's too hot right now to plant anything and create my dream garden, but I will in the Fall or next spring. But I collect gnomes too!
Be Enchanted!

Annie Jeffries said...

I'm charmed. This makes me want to go right out and buy a gnome statue for my garden.